Stability Ball 101by Carole Phillips on 07/19/10
Here's why you should get ballin':
- A stability ball works your abs way more than regular crunches do. Plus, use it in place of a bench for strength moves and your core gets a workout too - you'll engage your deep obliques and lower-back muscles to stay in place.
- It's adaptable to every fitness level.
- It helps banish back pain. Physical therapists love the ball because it strengthens the deep muscles of the spine.
- Choose the right ball for your height: 5' = 45 cm ball; 5'1"-5'7" = 55 cm ball; 5'8"+ = 65 cm ball.
- Inflate the ball enough so that when you sit on it with your feet on the floor your knees are even with or just above your hips.
- To make the exercises more difficult, add more air to the ball. The firmer the ball, the greater the challenge.